Please note: These are the 2017 competition rules and regulations. We are currently working on the 2018 regulations, which will be published shortly. Thank you for your understanding!
§ 5a Piano
The division piano was not included in the 2016 competition. If a registration has been paid in 2015, but the contestant did not participate in the contest, the registration fee for 2017 will be reduced by EUR 30.
- All works have to be performed from memory.
- The chairman will terminate any presentation exceeding the given time frame.
- Please choose repeats in your own responsibility. The maximum duration of each round must not be exceeded.
- Please prepare an attractive piece with a maximum duration of 4-5 minutes for the prize winners' concert. Choose from the theme "folk music (dance music)", if possible in connection with your home. For suggestions, see § 2.
A) First Round:
- One Prelude and one Fugue (belonging together) from “Das Wohltemperierte Klavier” by J. S. Bach.
- One Etude by F. Chopin from op. 10 (except no. 3, and no. 6) or op. 25 (except no. 7).
- One piece by J. Brahms to be chosen from op. 4, 10, 76, 79, 116, 117, 118, 119.
Duration: 15 minutes.
B) Second Round:
- A piece of variation work by J. Brahms: op. 9, or op. 21 (no. 1 and no. 2), or op 24, or op. 35 (first and second book).
Note: Of op. 35 you can also play book 1 or book 2 only. In this case you would have to complement your programme by op. 21, no. 1 or no. 2. The variations op. 21, no. 1, can be played without repeats.
- A sonata by J. Brahms: op. 1, or op. 2, or op. 5.
Note: The first movement of sonata nr 3 op. 5 by Brahms is to be played without repeats.
Duration: max. 35 minutes.
C) Final with full orchestra:
You are asked to play the first movement from one of the following piano concerts:
- J. Brahms, no. 1, D minor, op. 15
- J. Brahms, no 2, B major, op. 83
- R. Schumann, A minor, op. 54
The concerts must be played from memory.